Monday, September 14, 2009

Girls


I was lately on a search for a good new album. It has been really difficult to find something new and fresh the last few months. However, "Girls" filled the gap with their album (which is called "Album".....) and even if it isn't the record that will change your life it surely makes an impression. It reminded me for some reason of good ol' Pulp and the whole album has that narcotic feeling I get from My Bloody Valentine. And I must say, the release comes in a timely fashion, just before autumn hits for good and the summer starts to seriously fade away. And Christopher Owens seems to also struggle with that. He sings about girls, summer, about waking up in the afternoon, napping in parks and soaking up sunshine. And I have been there (except maybe napping in parks...), so I like the theme. "Hellhole Ratrace" was praised this summer in the blogosphere (and Pitchfork) as THE epic summer track and maybe it is. It simplistic, nostalgic and bittersweet feeling (and its AWESOME video. Watch it!) makes it an absolute pick for 2009.
Christopher Owens grew up in a cult and escaped when he was 16. And when he tells us in "Lust For Life" that "he's fucked in the head" I believe him. And now he sings about California girls, getting drunk and the sun... It's an interesting concept to listen to...

No comments: